Safeguarding involves creating a safe environment for all. This is particularly important for the most vulnerable members of our community whether they are children, young people or adults.
Our Safeguarding Policy is approved by our Parish Priest, The Leeds Diocese Safeguarding Coordinator and our Parish Safeguarding Representative and applies to:
· all those who attend our church
· all trustees and staff (both paid and voluntary)
· organisations or persons who hire our facilities with the agreement to operate under the church’s safeguarding policy
The policy is in line with good practice guidance from both the Leeds Diocese Safeguarding Office and CSAS (Catholic Safeguarding Advisory Service).
We are committed to safer recruitment and selection of all paid staff and volunteers and will ensure that these procedures are followed, which include:
· asking applicants to complete an application form
· completion of self declaration forms
· interviewing candidates
· taking up two references (not from family members)
· providing candidates with role descriptions, training and support
· obtaining Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate
· renew the DBS certificates every 5 years (3 years for clergy and SVP) if individual has not registered with the on-line annual DBS Update Service.
If you have genuine Safeguarding concerns, ask yourself:
Is the child/adult at immediate risk?
If the person is at immediate risk of harm or needs medical attention contact the emergency services and follow any advice given.
If they are not at immediate risk but you have concerns, please inform the Parish Priest or the Parish Safeguarding Representative who will then seek advice from the Diocese Safeguarding Office.
Parish Priest: Rev Canon John Nunan Tel: 01937 582283
Leeds Diocese Safeguarding Office
62 Headingly Lane
LEEDS LS6 2BX
Leeds Diocese Safeguarding Coordinator : Ms Suzanne Mitchell
Tel: 0113 2618069 or 07515 598523